Monday, April 15, 2013

Catching up last week & homemade equipment

Heyo

I had time and totally flaked out on my log last week; I always keep a paper log but I didn't sit on the computer long enough to get it up here and didn't want to post it without some kind of content!

So without further nonsense, lets kick it today with the idea of homemade equipment. A lot of people, and I mean a lot, are covered under the "I can't afford a gym membership/have no time/can't afford home equipment" - how legit those claims are can vary a ton. But no matter, today is the saving grace for those people.

I bring you the first step- the homemade dumbbell.
Now this has been done maaannnyyy times and there are tons of guides by tons of people all over the internet, some advanced and some simple. I'm not sure where I got the information from, but I am acknowledging that it is not in fact my own idea....no matter because it kicks ass.

Yes there are 2 clamps in the pic but you will need 4

Materials needed:

  • Galvanized steel bars - from 10" - 22"
  • Appropriate sized hose clamps - 1/2" - 2"
  • Some kind of epoxy / strong adhesive for metal surfaces
  • Duct tape / any coarse tape / tennis or baseball bat grip tape
I left a range because you can customize to suite your own needs - for example a female who has never lifted weights may opt for a shorter length bar and smaller 1 inch diameter since she doesn't need to fit a hundred pounds nor does she need a fatter grip. I went with a 1 inch (technically it's less than 1 inch in thickness because it fits standard size 1 inch plates, but lets not worry too much about the tech specs) diameter bar that was 18 inch long (I bought enough of everything for 2 dumbbells, that means 4 hose clamps per db)


Step 1 & 2

  • Wash the bar with soap and water then dry completely
  • Grip the bar wherever and find out how much space you need to fit your hand comfortably, then measure out your inner clamps. To be simple, let's say my hand takes up 5in of space and I have a 15in bar - 15in - 5in = 10in of space left on the db. Then divide that by two and it gives us approx 5in of space per side from the end to where the clamp will sit (so to clarify, if you measure from the end 5in inward, that's where the clamps will sit)
  • I marked the spot with a sharpie
  • THEN, be careful here, put the clamps on the marked area but not tightened down yet
  • Put a sufficient amount of epoxy/whatever adhesive on the marked area and slide the clamp over it and begin to tighten it down
  • Try to keep the clamp in its spot so we don't get epoxy everywhere, if you do wipe it off quickly
  • Set aside to dry for 15min/1 hour/1 day based on your products instructions

Step 3
My grips have lasted a long time, don't look so good anymore

  • Wrap the rubber grip or duct tape around the inside of the clamps and maybe some extra on top of the clamps (some people disagree saying you should wrap before putting on the first set of clamps, I disagree with that because in my experience wrapping the rubber on top of the clamp will make it hurt less when you put some weight on the bar and have the clamp digging in your thumb or pinky)
Step 4


  • Simply slide your plates on and follow them with the second hose clamp and tighten it down
**DISCLAIMER AND TIPS**
We do not want weights falling on our faces, so tighten those outer clamps hard, I recommend a ratcheting screwdriver to really speed up the process. You could also epoxy with outer clamps on to make some fixed weight db's but this is a budget oriented guide so just make sure they are on tight. If you forget to tighten them it is not my fault when weight slides right off the side and on to YOU, I have done it before and my foot will never be the same (jk my foot is fine but it hurt)

**FUN PART**

  1. It cost me less than $10 to build 2 dumbbells and buy extra clamps just to have
  2. Obviously you need weight; buy one inch diameter AKA "standard" not "olympic" plates if you don't make 2in thick bars
  3. Weight can be found at any sporting goods store or on craigslist but TAKE THE BARS WITH YOU to buy weight and make sure they fit. I found several stores and deals but the weights didn't fit. I ended up buying from Dick's Sporting Goods for less than a dollar a pound (never pay more than a dollar a pound, a lot of craigslist deals can be had for 50 cents or so a pound even less sometimes)
Just to prove they are safe and effective, I have put over 100lbs on this dumbbell and goblet squatted it - that means held it by the weights vertically so all the force is on the clamps, without issue (not that you should ever try this, and if you do you probably don't need a guide anyway and have faith in your creation) Do not clamp on the threads of the bar! You should buy a big enough bar and leave enough room to fit the desired amount of weight and your hand without hitting the threads. THE WEIGHTS WILL FALL OFF IF YOU TRY AND CLAMP THE THREADS!
just enough room to clamp(DO NOT clamp on the threads)
120lbs, I have tipped it, carried it, and tried to rattle it but it stayed together no prob and no bending
*If you can use over 100lbs (per hand) on more than one exercise requiring two dumbbells, and you don't already own dumbbells that high, email me at jpduprefit@gmail.com. I have some good resources for quality heavy duty handles at an awesome price*

Now on to last weeks training and today's!
My last update was 4/8's training so here is the 10th, 13th, and today the 15th

4/10 Wednesday
Bench - 202.5lbs x 5 , 5 , 12
DB Curl - 32.5lb db's x 10 , 25lb db's x 13
Deadlift - 310 x 10
Neck harness - 4 x 25 @ 22.5lb
Chin ups - 3 ladders to 2

Good workout - bench reps are staying high though I'd like them to come down to the 6-8 range on that last set. Going to up the chin ladders soon in effort of attaining the golden 5 ladders to 5 in one sitting which is 75 total reps.

4/13 Saturday
Supposed to be Friday's workout but I got busy and couldn't fit it in (Life happens to everyone, it's ok just hit it the next day you can from where you left off)

Press - 115lb x 5 , 5 ,10
Chin ups - BW+25lbs x 8 , BW+20lbs x 8
Squat - 215lb x 5 , 5 , 15
Neck - 4 x 25 @ 25lbs
Chin ups - 3 ladders to 2
Conditioning - 50 sandbag clean & presses /w 50lb sandbag in 4:45

 Woah woah woah, finally some conditioning. Boy do I lack it right now, 15lbs of weight gain will do it to ya that's for sure. Expect to see more of this coming soon as I'm going to start for a new goal of leaning out and being all around more athletic - this will start Monday 4/29

Today 4/15 Monday
Bench press - 205lb x 5 , 5 , 13
Drag curl - 65lb x 12 , 60lb x 10
Squat - 220lb x 5 , 5 , 13
Neck - 4 x 25 @ 27.5lbs
Chin ups - 4 ladders to 2

Awesome workout, blew bench out of the water again and finally upped a ladder on chins. Squats staying strong as well. Not much to report besides that.

Bonus pic - My fiance and first client

Squatting 80lbs for 5 , 5 , 10

Always break that parallel


47.5lb overhead for reps, very nice!

Til next time....(look forward to going over some exercises and mini routines for that cheap and easy dumbbell we just made)

No comments:

Post a Comment