Monday, April 8, 2013

Training 4/5 and Today...and random dietary goodness

Training on 4/5

I had bench, curls, and squats on Friday. Hit some good numbers on my final set of everything, other than that it was uneventful and a little rushed due to being "Friday night".

BW - Didn't check since I worked out later after I had eaten several meals

Bench press - 200lbs x 5 , 5 , 12
EZ bar curls - 60lbs x 12 , 50lbs x 12
Squat - 205lb x 5 , 5 , 11
Neck harness - 3 x 25 @ 20lbs

Also I don't have a camera anymore since the one on my phone is busted somehow, new phone coming this next week

Today - 4/8
A necessary evil for me, blegh

Today its 10:30 as of this sentence and I am so full and tired of eating already. Gaining and losing weight truly is a function of diet and mentality. Training is great and will make the most of the weight you gain or accelerate the weight you lose and make you look better when you're done losing, but diet and most importantly the mental outlook are the king and queen here. Take myself for example, a tall lanky guy looking to put on some weight. I've had access to ground beef, chicken breasts, rice, and broccoli by the pounds...daily...for at least a year. But have only started gaining in the last 12 weeks, since I made the mental shift into pouring my effort towards diet. People always say I don't have time to do this or that, but it's just not true. I know or have known people that truly were stretched for time for weeks at a time even down to limited sleep that were able to make good healthy choices or make an effort to exercise in the gym or otherwise. I have the time to eat right and to gain weight and I still didn't, I had the foods available and didn't, though I "wanted" to and thought I was...I wasn't committed. This applies to a lot of things in life but there are books out there on that so I'll skip it.

On the diet front though, my a-ha moment came when I decided to limit myself to working out once every 2-3 days, and instead focus my effort on diet. I told myself whatever happens now is all on the diet and I'm the only one accountable.....I can see why most young males say they want to get big and strong but don't.  IT SUCKS. I stuff my face....with the key being that its with single ingredient foods (chicken breast has chicken breast in it contrary to a big hamburger from some joint). Anyone that eats single ingredient foods on a regular basis knows that it is hard to get calories from them because they're so "healthy" hence when someone who eats out all the time switches to "eating healthy" or "eating clean" they roughly halve their calories while keeping or even improving their macro nutrient counts for the day (protein, carbs, fat) and they lose weight or improve body composition.

Anyway back to my diet, I've already had a 50g protein/75g carb shake with 20g fat - then worked out and had another 50g protein shake following - then had 6oz ground beef with 2 cups of rice....and now I'm debating whats for 1st lunch and it's not yet 11, this will continue all day and it is not fun. Though the scale is still moving up and I'm staying within my weight gain guideline of "visible abs" and I don't mean focusing on keeping a 6 pack just the outline that there may in fact be muscle in that area, once and if that disappears I will dial it back as I will be accumulating to much fat. To gain weight you "get smooth" for awhile but use the scale, diet log, and the mirror to keep on track.

Some tips for the day before I list the workout and log off
Want to lose weight?
-Try keeping to single ingredient foods

-Eat lean meats - chicken / fish / some cuts of beef with every meal


-Portion your food with the old fist and palm method (lots of people endorsing this method, it works)
Meaning have a fist sized portion of carbs with most meals and a palm sized protein portion with every meal, striving for 6 meals a day with cutting back on the carbs is a good option, but sometimes you won't be eating that often so add a fist or two of carbs to other meals. There are plenty of diets out there and mostly they preach the same things with different frequencies or days of the week - pick one and stick to it they all work (this applies to most people in the population, if you have a specific goal like getting bigger and stronger or compete in a sport drop me an email at jpduprefit@gmail.com)


-If you find yourself hungry fill up on veggies, they are good for you and have hardly any calories(truly low carb)

-WALK! anybody that comes to me for training gets assigned walking 6 days a week if possible for homework. It is the most under utilized activity for diet and exercise, start walking a brisk pace for 20-40 minutes a day and watch the fine lines come out in the mirror or the scale start to go down (combine this with a solid diet and training with me and it's pretty ridiculous how good you'll start to look and feel)

Ok, here is today's training

Bodyweight - 192

Press - 110lb x 5 , 5 , 16
Chin ups - BW+20lbs x 8 , BW+15lbs x 8
Squat - 210lb x 5 , 5 , 13
Neck harness - 4 x 25 @ 20lb
BW chin ups - 3 ladders to 2

(a ladder being a pyramid scheme without the descent so a ladder to three would look like -
do 1 rep, rest as long as it would take someone else to do the same in between each batch of reps; think invisible partner, do 2 reps , do 3 reps - done. Start back at 1 rep then 2 reps then 3 reps done as opposed to doing 1 , 2 , 3 , 2 , 1. It's worked much better for me to follow up the "hard" set with the lowest rep count) thank StrengthVillain for that one

til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment